"Heroes voice after the phone."

Discussion related to Hayden's seventh album released by Arts & Crafts on February 5, 2013
dresser_guy

"Heroes voice after the phone."

Post by dresser_guy »

Who is PHD referring to when he says this?

pretpat

Re: "Heroes voice after the phone."

Post by pretpat »

You are referring to the song Almost Everything where Hayden sings
Then everything changed over the phone
California to my home
My heroes voice after the tone
My guess would be Neil Young. It is known Hayden is a fan of Neil Young and below some "evidence" that would support this reference is to Neil Young.

Haydens Wikipedia page says
Hayden released an independent cassette, In September, in 1994, and followed with the album Everything I Long For in 1995. Released on his own Hardwood Records with distribution by Sonic Unyon, the album was a commercial success. He subsequently found himself in a bidding war between record labels in the United States, with one early offer coming directly from Neil Young, whose manager Elliott Roberts had just launched Vapor Records.
And according to Neil Youngs page
He began performing in a group covering Shadows instrumentals in Canada in 1960, before moving to California in 1966
I can't believe how one thing changes everything and nothing will ever be the same again.

Jamseyb

Post by Jamseyb »

I always assumed that it was when Neil invited Hayden to play the Bridge School Benefit in '96.

Chris
Site Admin

Post by Chris »

That'd certainly be my guess. A bit of that story is told in "Have Not Been The Same" by Michael Barclay et al. The 2nd Edition of which is available here: http://www.amazon.ca/Have-Not-Been-Same ... 550229923/

I snapped a photo from the book of Hayden meeting with Neil in '97.

Chris | wasteyourdaysaway.com
[email protected]
@chrstaylr

Jamseyb

Post by Jamseyb »

Thanks for the photo. I read the first edition a few years ago, but I don't remember that picture of Neil and Hayden. Very cool!

dresser_guy

Post by dresser_guy »

Thanks all, that's great! :)