Variant version of "Choking" from "Moving Careful"

Discussion related to album from In September (1994) to The Place Where We Lived (2009)
bunglejerry

Variant version of "Choking" from "Moving Careful"

Post by bunglejerry »

Hi I had a quick question for anyone here. I have just heard a version of "Choking" that I've never heard before - three and a half minutes long, drums, high-pitched above-the-nut guitar noises, plenty of discordant guitars coming out of nowhere near the end.

What is it?

mjordan

Re: Variant version of "Choking" from "Moving Careful"

Post by mjordan »

I have that version. It appears on the album Shanti Project Collection (Volume 1) from the Badman label. I'm not sure it was ever used anywhere else.

Chris
Site Admin

Post by Chris »

mfgeorge is right. There are more details here:
http://badmanrecordingco.com/catalog/in ... cPath=4_24
http://www.allmusic.com/album/shanti-pr ... 0000667587

The re-worked version of Wasting My Days Away (which appeared in its original arrangement on a 7") is also on the Shanti Project Collection.

They're streamable on Rdio and Spotify.
Chris | wasteyourdaysaway.com
[email protected]
@chrstaylr

bunglejerry

Post by bunglejerry »

Awesome, thank you both very much. And it's on iTunes too! So that's two dollars well spent.

I think I might prefer this version of "Choking" to the original. Maybe not for "Wasting My Days Away", but if nothing else it's nice to have it in a digital format.

Did an earlier version of this website not have a rather comprehensive discography?

Chris
Site Admin

Post by Chris »

You're welcome.

I like both of those versions. I think that version of "Wasting My Days Away" may have inspired the naming of this site. Back in the day when everyone and their brother ran a music fan site, there were also at least a dozen decently designed and regularly updated Hayden fan sites. There were quite a few already up when I jumped on the scene. I spent a whole day putting it together during a dreary end-of-winter weekend day. At the time I kind of thought I was wasting the day putting together a site when there already a bunch of really good ones already online.

And yes, you're right. The entire site was originally based around that wildly extensive discography. I've meant for many years to find the time to recreate it. It was also part of our plan when I took over the official site but didn't make it into the final version when we published it. It was going to get added later on, and then didn't.
[email protected]
@chrstaylr

seanrockon

Post by seanrockon »

I am curious about the "wildly extensive discography". Can you post the old/existing version? Maybe a separate thread could be made and everyone can work to refine it.

Chris
Site Admin

Post by Chris »

I just posted about this in the thread about Vinyl releases.

Crowd sourcing the discography is a pretty good idea. With three kids, I have far less time to work on it then I did when I originally published and maintained it when I was 19. I have several interesting things in my collection. There was quite a bit of stuff put out with Hayden tracks on them when he was with Outpost. I have several odd compilations you probably won't find mention of elsewhere.

As mentioned, in the other thread, the biggest task is getting everything re-scanned. Every release prior to Elk-Lake Serenade needs to be rescanned, notes and track lists put together, etc.
[email protected]
@chrstaylr

Dr. Jimathy

Post by Dr. Jimathy »

Now We Are 5 compilation - Neil Young Song - one of my favourites also tough to find!